Area: Public Administration and Business Decisions
Nationality: US, IRISH (EU), SWISS
Professor Margaret Flaherty is internationally recognized as an authority in the field of Managing Business/Trade Associations, Developing Strategy, and Delivering Business Plans, Raising Funds, Growing Membership.
She was Chief Operating Officer of World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) during the years of 1995 to 2012. WBCSD was recognized as one of the world’s top business organizations whose mission was to advance the principles of sustainable development: economic growth, environmental stewardship and social responsibility. Membership of the WBCSD covered 20 industrial sectors based in more than 30 countries including companies such as Pepsi, Caterpillar, DuPont, Bank of America, Toyota, Dow, Siemens, Royal Dutch Shell, P&G, Unilever, Sinopec, and Infosys. She focused on managing corporate board-level relations, framing strategic directions, running highly successful programs and advancing company collective interests. Flaherty is highly proficient in delivering “back-office” services (recruitment/training/fundraising/programming). She provided significant influence in the growth and success of the WBCSD. An educational background in both law and engineering has served her well when grappling with the policy and technical challenges sustainable development.
Professor Flaherty currently teaches, develops curriculum and consults in the areas of business and sustainable development / corporate social responsibility / scenario planning / supply chain management – from strategic/policy to practitioner/implementation. She is currently a member of the Sustainability / Corporate Citizenship Advisory Boards of Abbott (USA) and held similar roles with Caterpillar (USA), Areva (France), and AccountAbility (UK). She was a Senior Advisor with FSG (Boston/Geneva).
• 2012, Business Drivers of Sustainable Development: The Role and Influence of the WBCSD – a Global Business Network Elgar Publishing Limited, Cheltenham, UK / Wijen & Zoeteman
• 2006, Issue Management Tool: Strategic Challenges for Business World Business Council for Sustainable Development, Geneva, Switzerland
• 2005, Growing with Society Wiley / Global Future, The Next Challenge for Asian Business / DeMeyer, Williamson, Richter, Mar
• 2005, Beyond Reporting: Creating Business Value and Accountability ISO Management Systems
• 2005, Sustainable Development Reporting: Striking the Balance World Business Council for Sustainable Development, Geneva, Switzerland
• 2003, Stakeholder Dialogue: The WBCSD Approach to Engagement World Business Council for Sustainable Development, Geneva, Switzerland
• 1998, Corporate Social Responsibility: Making Good Business Sense World Business Council for Sustainable Development, Geneva, Switzerland
• 1992, Corporate Responses to Environmental Challenges: Initiatives of Multinational Management Quorum Books/Greenwood Publishing Inc. / New York, NY
• 1995-2012, Chief Operating Officer, World Business Council for Sustainable Development, Geneva, Switzerland
• 1993-1995, Project Manager, International Chamber of Commerce / World Industry Council for Environment (WICE), Paris, France
• 1987-1993, Principle Investigator, Center for Environmental Management, Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts, USA
• 1984-1986, Senior Regional Planner, Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
• 1983-1984, Assistant, Harvard University / Kennedy School of Government, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
• 2007, Harvard Business School, Cambridge, MA. Executive Education.
• 2007, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Sloan School of Management, Cambridge, MA. Executive Education.
• 1991-1994, Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, MA. Juris Doctor (JD)
• 1986-1987, Tufts University, Boston, MA. Master of Science.
• 1979-1983, CT B.A., University of Connecticut, Political Science and Government
• The Gillette Company, Boston, MA
Law Clerk Office of Corporate Counsel
• United States District Court, District of Massachusetts Honorable Mark L. Wolf, Boston, MA
• United States Attorney's Office, Boston, MA
Law Clerk Major Crimes/Public Corruption Unit